In addition to the helpfile below - Two other notes from your friendly helper team.
1 - If you are struggling to find a mob - make sure you can see hidden and invisible mobs.
2 - Always read the help file of the goal before starting.
Help Goal Solving
Most of the lower level goals walk you through what needs to be completed
to help you get familiar with goals in general.
As you get to higher levels, some of the goals may be harder to uncover and
the tasks may be harder to solve.
We have building rules in place that the clues you need *must* be given,
but they may take some hunting down. They may also be obscure at times,
that is the nature of scripted quests with a storyline.
If you find yourself completely stuck on a goal, here are a few general
hints for solving them:
* Some mobs aren't as easily detectable. If you struggle trying to
locate a mob in an area, it simply might be because the mob is flagged
'invis' and/or 'hidden'. You can correct this with the spells 'detect
invis' and 'detect hidden'.
* Conversely, many mobs cannot see hidden or invisible creatures. Use
of the 'visible' command might be necessary in these situations (you may
need to leave the mob's room and reenter once you're visible).
* Because of the way mob resets and repops work, sometimes you need
to kill all of the mobs with the same name before a repop will load
the item. Some items only have a random chance of spawning as well.
* Every goal on Aardwolf has a helpfile for the area which lists the
area level range, the goal's recommended level, any kind of minimum or
maximum requirements as well as a description about the goal and the
storyline behind it. In some cases, it will give you special notes or
* Make sure you read all the descriptions in the area. Many areas
give the clues you need on room, mob or object descriptions. They may
also be in extra descriptions in a room. For example, if a room mentions
a desk, typing 'look desk' may show something.
* Try using 'listen' on all the mobs you can find. Some mobs tell their
clues when listened to.
* Sometimes, an act or use of a social is needed to trigger the
* Mobs very rarely respond to direct tells. If you have to give some
information, just say it! You'll be a lot more likely to get a response.
* Check your task list regularly since a hint may appear there during
your attempt to solve the task.
* Think back on what you've learned in the area. Has it been implied
that a certain mob may require something, or perhaps that they work for
* There may be times where you simply cannot complete a task because
someone has just done it and the area needs to reset first. Most mobs
that open goals cannot be killed, but mobs needed for specific tasks
can still be killable.
* Don't assume that everything you need to complete a goal is from
the same area. In most cases, this does happen to be true, but not
If all else fails, do something else for a while. There is not a single
goal that is essential to your ability to progress through the MUD. They
are optional challenges for people who enjoy solving puzzles.
Please note that Helpers and Advisors may choose to give you general
hints on a goal, but they are not allowed to give you answers. They are
not being unhelpful, they are just following their rules.